Valentine’s Day is certainly one of the most romantic days of the year. Although there are some who dread the day, there are millions who look forward to this Valentine’s Day every year. Since Valentine’s Day is all about love and romance, candles are usually incorporated into the Valentine decor. A great way to customize your candles for Valentine’s Day is to use a glass votive and decorate in a Valentine’s Day theme yourself. It is actually very simple to do, it’s also a fun DIY project to do in your spare time. For this craft project you won’t need too many tools, the most important thing is the bench vise to hold your work in. The other materials needed are listed below.
- glass votive
- acrylic paint (red, white, and pink)
- candle for the votive
- stickers (optional)
- tissue paper
- white glue
1. The first step to creating your own Valentine’s Day candle is figuring out what you want to paint on it. There are many options that suit the Valentine’s Day theme very well, such as hearts, doves, teddy bears, flowers, and other things that are commonly associated with Valentine’s Day. If you are not the greatest artist, you can search online and find something that you want to paint onto your candle.
2. If you are afraid of messing up when painting, you can use transfer paper to transfer the image onto the votive. If you are a pretty decent artist, you should be fine free handing the picture.
3. If you have chosen to trace the image onto the candle, start with the outline of the image when you begin painting. If you did not trace it, you should start with the outline as well. Use a small paintbrush to make sure that you do not make any major mistakes. Once you have finished the outline, you can fill in your picture with the colors that you feel would look best.
4. Make sure that your paint is completely dry before moving on. If you are in a hurry and cannot sit around and wait for paint to dry, you can use a blow dryer to make the process go faster. If you want to apply stickers to the votive, now is the time to do so. Keep in mind that you do not have to decorate the entire votive, because only the front of it will be seen.
5. Once you have decorated your votive and are satisfied with how it looks, it is time to apply the tissue paper. This step is not necessary, but it makes the votive look less homemade. The tissue paper has to be white, or you will not be able to see through it well enough to see the images you have painted. Measure the tissue paper to be sure that you cut enough to go around the entire votive.
6. Apply the white glue to one side of the tissue paper and apply it very carefully to the outside of the votive. The tissue paper does not have to be completely smooth, it can be a little crinkled as long as you can still see the image you have painted well enough to tell what it is.
7. Let your new Valentine’s Day candle holder dry. Once it is dry, insert a candle and enjoy!
If you have an excess of scrap wood you could always use this in your candle holder project. There are some great designs you can make without too much effort. You could shape scrap would into many types of lovely art, you will need a few tools though. A bench grinder is a must, you will also need a saw, and some sandpaper for the finer details.